Personal Support Specialist On-Line Training Program (CNA to PSS Test Out)
Applicants must be in good standing with the CNA Registry. The State of Maine requires healthcare providers to perform criminal background checks on all new employees to protect clients and their families. Although you may obtain certification, anyone with a criminal conviction of client abuse, neglect, exploitation, violence, and/or sexual abuse against any victim or a criminal conviction classified as A, B, C, D, or E within the past ten (10) years may not be considered for employment (State law). If these charges are over ten(10) years, agencies may use their discretion. If you have any questions regarding the above, please contact us. Students must have a CNA certificate and a photo ID to attend the PSS test out.
The personal support specialist program teaches basic fundamental skills as required by the prescribed curriculum approved by DHHS/BEAS. The program consists of the fifteen modules listed below:
- Entering the health care and human service fields
- Basic work skills and job maintenance
- Legal and ethical aspects of care
- Observation, reporting, and documentation
- Health, safety, and fire prevention
- Introduction to job skills
- Understanding the consumer as an individual
- Concepts of aging and illness
- Instrumental activities of daily living
- Transfers and activities of daily living
- Consumer emergencies
- Approaches to teaching procedures
- Skills lab preparation
The final exam and clinical demonstration is given on site at 11 East Street, Benton, ME 04901. Assistance Plus is not able to accommodate requests for alternate skills training sites.
The tuition for our PSS test out is $75.00 and must be paid prior to the skills lab test out. For all outside students. A $25.00 fee is charged to any student not providing the required 48-hours of cancellation notice.