- Applicants must be in good standing with the CNA Registry.
- The State-of-Maine requires healthcare providers to perform criminal background checks on all new employees to protect clients and their families. Although you may obtain certification, anyone with a criminal conviction of client abuse, neglect, exploitation, violence, and/or sexual abuse against any victim or a criminal conviction classified as A, B, C, D, or E within the past ten (10) years may not be considered for employment (State law). If these charges are over ten (10) years, agencies may, at their discretion, hire. If you have any questions regarding the above, please contact us. Please bring a photo ID to the skills lab.
The PSS program teaches basic fundamental skills as required by the prescribed DHHS/BEAS approved curriculum approved. The program consists of the fifteen (15) modules listed below:
- Entering the health care and human service fields
- Basic work skills and job maintenance
- Legal and ethical aspects of care
- Observation, reporting, and documentation
- Health, safety, and fire prevention
- Introduction to job skills
- Understanding the consumer as an individual
- Concepts of aging and illness
- Instrumental activities of daily living
- Transfers and activities of daily living
- Consumer emergencies
- Approaches to teaching procedures
- Skills lab preparation
Module fifteen (15) will consist of state paperwork completion, final exam, and clinical demonstration. This will be given at 11 East Street, Benton, ME 04901. Assistance Plus is not able to accommodate requests for alternate skills training sites.
- The tuition for our on-line course is $200.00 and must be paid prior to the start of the training program. If a background check is required there will be an addition charge of $21.00. We accept cash, checks, credit cards, and/or money orders. Checks must be made payable to Assistance Plus attention finance department.
- Once payment is complete, the student may begin the on-line personal support specialist training course. Assistance Plus will send instructions to the student in a welcome letter regarding access to the on-line training program.
- The tuition covers all the on-line materials. The course manual may be downloaded and printed by the student. Any student may purchase a printed manual for $30.00. Certificates are not given to students who have not paid for the course in full.
- Assistance Plus reserves the right to suspend a student’s access to the website at anytime for not complying with any part of the student agreement. Access to our educational website is granted for only nine months after which students are removed from the course without a refund.
- The skills lab/final exam must be completed within three (3) months of the on-line course completion.
- If you are an Assistance Plus employee, see the PSS training agreement for non- skilled PSS employees only.